Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2011. Results will be posted mid-May 2011.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2010-11 Secretary Candidate
Charles A. “Chuck” Caughey
Geologist, ConocoPhillips, Houston
Born 1946, San Diego, Calif.
- 1969 B.S. (Hons), geology, University of Texas at Austin
- 1973 M.A., geology, University of Texas at Austin
- 2005-present ConocoPhillips, geologist and logistics coordinator-Iraq studies, early career coordinator
- 1989-2005 ConocoPhillips/Gulf Canada Indonesia, new ventures and exploration manager
- 1976-88 LL&E/Inexco, geologist and exploration manager
- 1973-76 Conoco, associate research scientist and petroleum geologist
- Joined AAPG 1969, Member DPA
- 2000-present Publications Pipeline Committee, member and/or collaborator
- 2008-11 Outreach Committee, manager
- 2009-10 House of Delegates Resolutions Committee
- 2007-10 House of Delegates – Houston Geological Society
- 2009 Co-convener, Hedberg Conference on Clastic Sedimentation in Tropical Environments
- 2005-08 Visiting Geoscientist Program, chair
- 2004-06 Student Focus Coordinating Committee
- 2005-06 Ad Hoc Membership Committee
- 2002-05 Technical Program Subcommittee
- International Regions Committee, vice chair
- 2001-04 Chair, Oversight Committee for Student Chapters in Indonesia. Founded 11 AAPG Student Chapters.
- 2002-03 House of Delegates – Asia-Pacific Region
- 1999-2002 Treasurer, AAPG Asia-Pacific International Region
- 2000 Co-convener and short course chair, AAPG Bali ICE.
- 1994 Field trip leader, AAPG
AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2001 AAPG Distinguished Service Award
- 2000 AAPG Certificate of Appreciation
- 2000 AAPG Certificate of Merit
Numerous publications and technical talks on exploration technology, oil and gas field studies, sequence stratigraphy and seismic stratigraphy. Editor or co-editor of three proceedings volumes from technical conferences, a book on the Petroleum Geology of the South Sumatra Basin, and a 2-volume "Seismic Atlas of Indonesian Oil and Gas Fields.” Author of an early (1994) e-publication, a keyword index issued in both digital and hard copy format.