Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2011. Results will be posted mid-May 2011.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2010-11 President-Elect Candidate
John C. Dolson
Director, DSP Geosciences and Associates, Coconut Grove, Fla.
- 1981 M.S., earth sciences, Colorado State University
- 1973 Teacher Certification, University of Colorado
- 1971 B.A., Natural Sciences, Colorado College
- 2008-present Director, DSP Geosciences and Associates, LLC
- 2004-08 Exploration senior adviser, TNK-BP, Moscow, Russia
- 2003-04 Exploration adviser, BP New Ventures (London)
- 2000-02 Exploration adviser, BP-Amoco (Egypt)
- 1994-2000 Technical team leader, GUPCO (Egypt)
- 1991-94 Geologist, Amoco-Eurasia Exploration
- 1980-91 Geologist, Amoco Production Company: USA, Alaska 1978-80 USGS field assistant, grad student, Amoco geologist
- 1973-78 United States National Park Ranger, teacher
- 2007-present Adjunct professor, Royal Holloway University, London, UK.
- 1989-present Adjunct professor, Colorado State University
- 1989-present Research associate, Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Joined AAPG 1983 Member CPG, DPA, EMD, DEG
- 2005-11 Education Committee
- 2008-11 Visiting Geoscientist Program
- 2008-10 Vice chair, International Regions Committee
- 2007-09 EMD Councilor, European Region
- 2006-09 HoD Delegate, European Region
- 2004-08 Established three Russian AAPG student chapters producing four IBA teams
- 2006-07 AAPG vice president Co-chair, SEG/AAPG International Conference and Exhibition, Tyumen, Russia
- 2005-06 Distinguished Lecture, European Sub-committee Public Outreach Committee 2002-03 Geotours Ad-hoc Committee
- 2001-03 Field trip chair and organizing committee, AAPG International Conference, Egypt
- 2001-02 Candidate, Africa Region president
- 1992-2002 AAPG Superteam Leader, NE Africa and Egypt
- 1998-99 Chairman, Hedberg Conference on rift sedimentation and tectonics, Cairo, Egypt
- 1986-98 Visiting Geologist, Europe and Middle East
- 1993-94 Helped form first AAPG affiliated chapter in FSU history, Azerbaijan
- 1990-93 Youth Education Committee
- 1991-92 HoD Delegate, Rocky Mountain section Membership Committee
- 1983-90 Various committees, field trips, fund-raising efforts
AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2004 AAPG Distinguished Public Service Award
- 1982-present 90 + oral presentations and papers, two books and numerous field guides
- 2001, Petroleum Potential of Egypt (AAPG Memoir 74)
- 1999, Exploration for Stratigraphic Traps, Chapter 21, AAPG Handbook of Exploration
- 1994, Unconformity Related Hydrocarbons in Sedimentary Sequences (ed.), RMAG
- 1982, Black Canyon of the Gunnison Guidebook, Pruett Publishing, Boulder, Colo.