Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2009. Results will be posted mid-May 2009.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2008-09 Vice President - Regions Candidate
Alfredo E. Guzmán
Consultant, retired from Pemex in 2007
Born 1947, Mexico City
- 2001: Business Administration Program, Universidad Panamericana
- 1971-73: M.Sc., geology, Texas Tech University
- 1967-71: B.Sc., geology, Texas Tech University
- 1974-2007: Pemex Exploration and Production North Region SBU VP, Northern Mexico
- 2002-07: Pemex, exploration vice president, all of Mexico
- 1999-2001: Pemex, planning manager, North Region SBU, Northern Mexico
- 1997-98: Pemex, exploration manager, North Region SBU, Northern Mexico
- 1995-97: Burgos Basin Integral Project Team Leader, NE Mexico
- 1994-95: Sedimentology Studies Superintendent, NE Mexico
- 1990-93: Exploration district manager, North Central Mexico
- 1986-89: Field supervisor, Geological Operations NW Mexico
- 1983-86: Sedimentologist, NE Mexico
- 1980-82: Wellsite geologist, NW Mexico
- 1978-79: Field geologist, Northern Mexico
- 1974-77: Mexican Petroleum Institute
- 1972-73: Carbonate sedimentologist
- 1972-73: Minerals Exploration Company (subsidiary of Unocal)
- 1970: Field assistant in North Western México
Joined AAPG in 1969
International Distinguished Lecture Committee, 1991, 1997, 1999; Visiting Geologist Committee, 1999; Annual convention session chair; General chair for the Cancún, Mexico, Conference and Exhibition, 2004; President Latin American Region, 2003-04; Geo-DC Board of Governors
Affiliated and Associated Societies and Sections and major offices held
Asociacion Mexicana de Geologos Petroleros; Tampico Section president in 1991-92; National President in 1999-2000; Asociacion Mexicana de Geofisicos de Exploracion; Asociacion de Ingenieros Petroleros de Mexico (AIPM), President Poza Rica Section, 1998; M.A. Zenteno Award, 2004; Academia Mexicana de Ingenieria, numerary member; Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), Mexican Section Secretary and Villahermosa Conference Chair, 2001; Circum Pacific Council for Energy and Mineral Resources, regional director, 2001-05.
AAPG Honors and Awards
- Recognized by the AAPG at the Heritage of Petroleum Geologist DPA/SIPES Luncheon, Annual Convention, Houston, 2002
- Distinguished Service Award, AAPG, 2007
- Statesmanship Award, Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies, Corpus Christi, 2007
Around 50 published papers and over 200 presentations for all of the mentioned associations and other institutions.