Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2009. Results will be posted mid-May 2009.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2008-09 Vice President - Regions Candidate
Adekunle A. Adesida
Independent consultant, former business manager-commercial directorate, Shell Petroleum Development, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- 1980: M.Sc. (Applied Geology), University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), Nigeria
- 1978: B.Sc. (Hons) geology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- July 2008-present: Independent consultant
- 2005-08: Shell, business manager-commercial crude and gas handling, Nigeria
- 1999-2004: Shell, exploration adviser-ventures representation, (member of the ultra deepwater bidding team for the Nigeria deep water offshore blocks)
- 1996-99: Shell, head-waste and spills management, (including assignment in Holland, Scotland)
- 1996: Shell, head-northern swamp evaluation team, exploration, Nigeria
- 1993-96: Shell, head-geological lab, Nigeria
- 1991-92: Shell, senior review geologist-new venture and deepwater exploration study teams, Lagos
- 1988-90: Shell, regional geologist, exploration function, Nigeria
- 1985-88: Brunei Shell Petroleum, geologist/stratigrapher-exploration function, Sultanate of Brunei
- 1982-85: Shell, regional geologist-exploration, Nigeria
- 1981-82: Shell Internationale Petroleum Maastschappij B.V., geologist/stratigrapher-KSEPL Research Laboratory, Holland
- 1980-81: Shell, geologist, Lagos
Joined AAPG 1986, DPA, DEG and EMD member
- 2007-present: AAPG-IBA Program Africa Region, coordinator
- 2007-10: Visiting Geoscientist Program
- 2005-08: Membership Recruitment
- 2002-08: Publication Pipeline subcommittee
- 2003-05: Africa Region, president
- 2002-05: Membership Enhancement and Development, Africa
- 2001-03: Africa Region officer president-elect
- 1999-2002: DEG Committee chairman, hydrogeology
- 1999-2002: DEG Hydrogeology Committee, chairman 1999-2001
- 1999-2002: DEG Environ Issues Committee
- 1999-2002: Membership
- 1997-2000: House of Delegates member
- 2005: International Convention Egypt, DEG session chair
- 2007: International Convention Greece, session chair (abs)
Affiliated and Associated Societies and Sections and major offices held
Society of Exploration Geophysicists; Society of Petroleum Engineers; Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society; Nigerian Association of Petroleum Explorationists; National Stratigraphic Committee of the Niger Delta, secretary
- NAPE/University Honors and Awards
- 2006: Speaker’s Award NAPE leadership
- 2006: Distinguished Alumni Contributor Award, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife Nigeria).
- 2005: Fellow of the School of Mines and Earth Sciences, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
- 2004-05: Meritorious Service Awards chairman University Assistance Program
- 2004: Distinguished Fellowship Award
- AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2007: Distinguished Service Awards
- 2005: AAPG Certificate of Merit president, Africa International Region
- 2003-04: Top prize for membership enhancement drive
- Published more than 20 (internal) technical reports on regional geology, sequence (bio) stratigraphy, lithostratigraphy, environmental management, etc. Amongst which is Cenozoic Niger Delta: Regional Geological Implications of Cycle-Concept in Basin evaluation/modeling.
- Over 12 geological visits to Universities/Polytechnics to present technical papers.