Annual Report 2012: FY July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012
Region meetings take place once monthly (except July/August) in Calgary, Alberta.
Total membership as of July 11, 2012 for the Region stands at 1,532, vs. 1,611 in 2011 and 1,644 in 2010.
Imperial Barrel Award Program
- Fifth annual Canada Region IBA competition held March 16, 2012 in Calgary.
- Invited 33 Canadian universities to participate with a budget to accept seven schools.
- Six universities competed (Western Ontario, Memorial, McMaster, Calgary, Alberta, and Dalhousie). Acadia withdrew just before the competition.
- Memorial University won the Canada Regionals and went on to compete in Long Beach in the Globals.
- Canada has placed 4th, 3rd and 2nd, respectively, in the previous three years of global competition.
- Very positive IBA feedback.
- Excellent “seed event” to initiate student chapter growth, awareness of AAPG regional presence and services, build Canada-wide volunteer base, attract new members, and encourage interest in petroleum geology.
- Thank you to our Region sponsors for this event: Apache, ConocoPhillips, CSEG Foundation, Encana, ESSO, Husky Energy, Nexen, Talisman Energy, AAPG, AAPG Canada Region.
- In 2013 will target seven universities.
- Currently there are seven Student Chapters (University of Alberta, University of Calgary, University of Manitoba, University of Regina, Dalhousie, Queen’s University and University of Western Ontario).
- The Atlantic Geoscience Society, Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists (CSPG) and Saskatchewan Geological Society are affiliated Societies within Canada
2012 Honors and Awards
- Honorary Member of the House: George Eynon
- Gustavus E. Archie Memorial Grant: Greg M. Baniak
- Certificate of Merit: Dr. Mark Cooper, David A. Dolph
- Foundation Professorial Award: Grant D. Wach
- Grants-in-Aid: Martin D. Hewitt Named Grant – New student award for McMaster University
Canada Region AGM
- Held in Long Beach during ACE conference on April 24, 2011.
- 80–100 in attendance
AAPG Canada Region Local-Student Chapter Leadership Symposium
- University of Western Ontario - November 25-27, 2011
- Seven universities represented – McMaster University, University of Waterloo, Queen’s University, University of Western Ontario, Carleton University, University of Toronto, Brock University.
- Sponsors: Canada Region AAPG, AAPG, Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Ontario Petroleum Institute, University of Western Ontario
Committee members for AAPG Committees
- Based on a call for volunteers for representation on various committees the Canada Region had the following individuals volunteering on these committees:
- Stephen Bend–Honors and Awards
- John Hogg–HoD Constitution and Bylaws Committee
- David Dolph–Regions Committees, Nominations and Elections (chair)
- The Region held an election May 10, 2012. New Officers and Delegates for 2012–13 will be
- Ross Clark (incoming president)
- David Dolph (Past-President)
- Ken Hansen (VP/Treasurer)
- Ryan Lemiski (Secretary/Foreman)
- Paul English (Advisory Council Rep)
- Anne Hargreaves
- David Scott
- Ryan Lemiski
- David Brown
- Grant Wach
- John Hogg
- Marty Hewitt
- George Strother-Stewart