Annual Report 2012: FY July 1, 2011-June 30, 2012
Following elections held in 2012 the Asia Pacific Council comprises
- President and Advisory Council representative: Peter Baillie
- Vice President: Agu Kantsler
- Treasurer: Michael McWalter
- Secretary : Taufik Manan
At the annual Council meeting held in February 2012, it was decided to expand the Council to include
- DL and VGP Coordinator
- Student Chapter Coordinator
- YP Coordinator
- Website Coordinator
These positions are currently held by Guruh Fernando, Geovani Christopher, Reetu Ragini and Agus Uztad respectively.
The 2012 International Conference & Exhibition (ICE) will be held in at the Marina Bay Convention Centre, Singapore from September 16-19t. Host society is SEAPEX and the conference theme is “Asia Pacific Resources: Fuelling the Future”.
Principal roles are held by:
- General Chair: Richard Lorentz (who took over from Ian Collins)
- General Vice Chairs: Ian Dunderdale and Peter Baillie
Technical Program Committee:
- Chairs: John Kaldi and Bob Shoup
- Vice Chairs: Joe Lambiase and Keith Maynard
- Short Courses: Huw Evans
- Field Trips: Chris Howells
- Judging: Mark Beeson
- Students: Bill Houston
Adrienne Pereira, regional Programs Manager, continues to organize a successful series of workshops and short courses through the region. Three GTWs were conducted during the year:
- GTW 1, “Pore Pressure & Related Matters”, October 27-29, 2011, Singapore, 88 registrants and 21 presenters; Mark Tingay, University of Adelaide was Convenor. Two short courses by Richard Swarbrick and Mark Tingay were book-end events.
- GTW 2, a joint event with EAGE, “Fractured Carbonate Reservoirs”, February 15-17, 2012, Bali, Indonesia, 132 registrants, 30 presenters; Julie Kupecz of Pearl Energy Indonesia was Convenor. The event was supported by the Indonesia Petroleum Association and also included a Core Workshop.
- GTW 3, “Unconventional Hydrocarbon Plays in Asia”, March 15-16, Singapore, 90 registrants and 20 presenters; Dylan Mair, IHS Singapore was Convenor.
More Geosciences Technology Workshops (GTWs) are planned for the region.
The Imperial Barrel Award continues to be well supported in the region: eight teams participated with regional judging take place from February 29 to 2 March 2, 2012. Regional winners Khon Kaen University (Thailand) took second place at the 2012 finals held in Long Beach, California. Warmest congratulations to the team, who did a fantastic job. The level of all participants bodes well for the future of our industry.
We continue to have very active student participation through our Student Chapters. Our region boasts the most active student chapters in the Association with a total of 44 chapters, 27 of which are active chapters, with the balance targeted for revival.
Distinguished Lecturers to the region were Dale Issler, Geological Survey of Canada and Steve Dorobek, BP Houston. We need to have more visiting geoscientists give to talks at our universities.
Although we continue to be very well served by our priceless band of enthusiastic volunteers, we urgently need volunteers to help with
- Events planned for the region – concepts, speakers, topics
- Sponsorships for our events
- Imperial Barrel Award Competition
- Distinguished Lecturer/Visiting Geoscientist Tours
- Increasing membership
The website has been updated, and a Newsletter is planned for the region.