One of the more important charges of the AAPG’s Young Professionals (YP) Committee is helping guide Student members along their path toward Associate and full membership, while also offering early-career advice and a networking start.
The annual Student and Professional Meet ’n’ Greet, held on the first day of the AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition, is a unique opportunity for the YP Committee to fulfill that goal.
This year’s Meet ’n’ Greet will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 10 – right before the opening session and awards ceremony – in conference room 310 (near the Grand Ballroom) at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston.
The event is designed to assist students and newcomers in professional networking, foster career-long contacts and facilitate meeting other students with similar career goals.
In this setting, professionals of all experience levels have real face-to-face time with those new to the ACE experience – the ACE can be as overwhelming as it is exciting, but the YPs will be there to help by grouping students and professionals before the opening session.
Students have the chance to gain an insider’s perspective on petroleum industry career topics while attending the opening session, the exhibition and the Icebreaker.
Those who participate can expect:
- Pre-opening session networking.
- To experience the opening session and awards ceremony accompanied by petroleum industry professionals.
- Connecting students and professionals to walk the exhibition floor during the Icebreaker event.
- Prizes for the first 40 attendees.
- Drawings for cash prizes.
- A fun scavenger hunt geared toward meeting AAPG members (details at the Meet ’n’ Greet).
- The chance to individually meet and talk with AAPG leadership.
- YPs and other AAPG leadership answering questions and guiding newcomers through the ACE experience.
We strongly encourage pre-registering for this event, at aapg.org/houston2011/meetngreet.cfm.
Check the box on your registration materials to be included at the Meet ’n’ Greet. Short of that, simply show up – all walk-ups are welcome.
And feel free to check the YP website for the latest updates, and check out our Facebook page.
See you in Houston at the YP Meet ’n’ Greet!